Love, Brittney

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Krazy Bee Rummy

 Somehow, years and years back, my grandparents got hold of this game: Crazy Bee Rummy.
 It became an addiction for them, much like WOW is for pimply adolescent males. They played it every day. And by they I mean, they made anyone in the vicinity of their home play it with them, and if no one was available -Grandma and Grandpa played it by themselves.

Krazy Bee Rummy is much like Phase 10. And when I say much like, I mean, basically it is Phase 10. Except you get 12 cards and have 14 phases.

The best part about Krazy Bee Rummy? The automatic card shuffler that the Grandparents bought to go with the massive deck of shiny, slippery cards.

I love it. I love it more than the game. I love it more than a 24 year old ought to love an automatic card shuffler. I get super excited, every time, to shuffle those cards.

The Grandparents first introduced Krazy Bee Rummy and the automatic card shuffler into my life maybe 7 years ago? I've played that game sooooo many times...

One time, the Grandparents drove to Rexburg, where I was going to school, to see me. My beloved Uncle Ernie and Aunt Dot (my Grandma's brother and sister-in-law) drove from our native Anaconda, Montana, to Rexburg to see me. They stayed in the local motel, and I spent my weekend playing Crazy Bee Rummy with the Grandparents, Aunt Dot and Uncle Ernie. That, is a great memory.

That same weekend, Ernie went on a quest to find me a TV stand (we had a TV in our apartment, sitting on the floor). We finally found one at the DI, and it was perfect. He purchased it for me, loaded it in his old blue van, and carried it up the stairs. I still have it, holding the same TV, in the Cave. That TV stand means the world to me.

He also made it a quest to figure out how to fix my bracelet. Took it to the nearest mall, 45 minutes away in Idaho Falls, and walked around asking all the vendors/shop owners if they could fix it. I was so embarrassed, but he did get it fixed (it was one of those charm bracelets that were big at that time. Aunt Karen bought it for me as a gift).

Also from this trip - we were all trying to find a place to eat. We walked past this group of guys, who preceded to check me out - one especially. Grandpa stopped, went back, and scolded them. Said something to the affect of, "you don't check the granddaughter out when the Grandpa is watching." I was humiliated. Seriously thought I was going to die. It was probably the first time in my life, to that point, I'd ever noticed being checked out. To make matters worse, they decided they didn't want to eat at that restaurant, and we had to walk out, past them again, and to our car.

This weekend, we resurrected Crazy Bee Rummy. It's been years since the Grandparents put the game away, for keeps. Too old now to want to play it every day, or ever, for that matter. That makes me sad. It is the little things like that that make me realize they are aging.

We had a good group - and we played till 11pm. About the time we were all shutting down, Ramzi was really getting into it. So today, she begged Gramps to play with us. I had no desire. He finally conceded, after his shower. Ramzi and I went to the basement, where we curled up on the bed and put on Bones. We were tired, and about to fall asleep, when Gramps came down ready to play. I could have killed Ramzi. I ended up winning - Ramzi taking last place. Once again, reminding me that Karma really does exist.

Anways, as I was going through the old score sheets, I found one with the following names:

Ann
Dee
Dot
Ernie

And it made me sad and happy. Written proof that Uncle Ernie lived and breathed. That he had been in this house, playing this game. I miss him.

I also miss his mermaid tattoo that could dance when he bent his arm.

Yeah, he was that kind of cool.

Love,
Brittney

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home