Love, Brittney

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Urdu Vernacular


While in Pakistan, here is a list of words I got pretty proficient at. Probably pretty pathetic for what I should have picked up, but considering I knew no (Ok, I knew some, but not much. I’ll include words I previously knew here as well anyways. I should probably include the stories around some of those words here at some point) Urdu when I left, and everyone I interacted with knew English, I guess it isn’t too bad. Keep in mind most these words are my own spelling from what I was hearing, so the spelling could be pretty off.

My vocab very well sums my trip: family, food and animals. We met family, talked and ate copious amounts of food, and occasionally had creepy crawly visitors. We danced a ton (hence the song titles), and had our cups taken out from under us by the maid, hence learning to say “leave it”.

Shukriya– Thank you

Khuda hafiz – Goodbye

As-Salāmu `Alaykum - (Arabic, but it’s the standard hello)

Bhai – Brother

Bhaijaan – Older brother (Samar’s older brother)

Bhapi – Brothers’ wife (Huda Bhapi)

Khala – Mothers’ sister (Nino Khala)

Mamu – Mothers’ Brother (Machu Mamu)

Ammijaan – Grandmother

Apa - Respectful term of address used for elder females (Samar’s cousin was Sarah Apa)

Chorde – Leave it

Churhi - Bracelet

Churi dor – pants that have the ribbed bottoms – like churhi’s

Shalwar kameez – Style of clothing

Druras – Clothing

Naan – Type of Bread

Paratha – Type of bread

Roti- Type of bread

Nahari – Type of dish

 
Raita – Yoghurt sauce

Aloo- potato

Aam – Mango (I love this one. Since mangoes are super yummy! And Aam sounds like yum. Fitting!)

Chipkli – Gecko

Machly - Mosquito

Teri ada - Your looks (As in, Oof! Teri Ada!! My favorite song)

Tu mera – I need (As in, Tu mera hero, another favorite song)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home