Love, Brittney

Monday, January 27, 2014

Questions

I read this article on Saturday (read it!). I told Trevor about it.

It is actually pretty awesome, I think. About asking the right questions. A lot of times I'd tell people certain things if they asked, showing they care. But vague questions like "how are you" aren't going to elicit much from me. "How is work?" would get more. "How is being married?" is going to get you a nondescript answer of "good". Asking me how adjusting to marriage is is going to get you something a little more concrete.

Some days, like the woman in the article describes, I don't even know how to tell Trevor how my day was. I just want to cry. Or when he asks, "how was your day" in a hurried manner, I don't bother.

But asking REAL questions? If people showed me they care enough to ask real questions, I'd tell them a lot more about my life and who I am and what I go through on a daily basis.

Trevor and I talked about real questions and how when we have kids, we want to make sure we aren't asking "how was school today?" but "how did you feel while taking your spelling test" as the woman in the article discusses. Asking our kids real questions to get to know them, not vague questions that feels like pulling teeth to get answers to.

It was a brief conversations, and Trevor didn't read the article.

Today at work I get this text from Trevor:

"Baby! I love you! What has made you happy today?"

Ummm... the first thing I thought when I read that text was, "wow, I married the most amazing man in the world."

I am grateful for such an incredible husband who listens to me and wants to help make us even better.

I'm grateful for people with life experiences, for sharing what they've learned. 

So, I'm going to try to start asking real questions. To forge real relationships, increase the quality of the ones I already have, and prepare to raise pretty amazing kids.

Love,
Brittney






Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home