Love, Brittney

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Getting to Barbados

All in all, getting to Barbados was relatively uneventful, which flying across the world should be if at all possible.



I worked until 10:00pm on Friday night, trying to get everything done before leaving. I put in a 15 hour day. Still have so much to do…


I actually got out of bed and made it to Julie’s house on time, which is a miracle for me. It just so happened that Julie was flying to Vegas to visit family, and her flight left 5 minutes before mine – so her son drove us both to the airport. That worked out so well for me!


I flew to Dallas, where the flight was delayed an hour and 15 minutes. So I grabbed some lunch, and these 2 guys on their way to Cozumel came and sat with me and we chatted for a while. The one guy told me I was beautiful – and I was wearing no makeup. Possibly could be the highlight of my whole vacation.


Once on the plane, we were delayed 45 more minutes. None of the lavatories were working. So we sat there forever. In my opinion, I’d rather not leave 2 hours late and have no lavatories, then have lavatories and get to Barbados 2 hours late. I called Becki and asked her to tell Andrew I was delayed – hoping he’d get the message on time. luckily, he did.


The flight was just over 5 hours, but seriously felt like 10. Never has a flight gone so slowly. I’m not even sure why, but it was torture.


We landed in Barbados. The humidity and heat immediately started to thaw me out from the frigid Utah cold. It felt wonderful. The whole walk to customs was in an outdoor patio type thing, and it was tropic and delightful. Customs was empty and I breezed through. I didn’t have luggage, so I was out on the town in no time. Andrew wasn’t there when I came out, and that always makes me a little nervous. He came not too long after to my relief.


We are renting this insanely cool car, it is called a moke. It has no doors and no windows on the side. It has a clear plastic wrap thing over the back – the only place having a window is the windshield. It’s AWESOME.


When we left the airport, Andrew gave me a map. Which shows how well he knows me. I have no directional ability AT ALL. In fact, I do much more harm than good with directions, even if I know where I am going. So take that fact, and then add that the car has no lights (besides the headlights, of course) and there are very few street signs. Also add that the streets are tiny and twisty and there are houses on the side of the road everywhere, which makes it always seem like you are not on the right road (expecting a bigger road from the map).


So it should take about 30 minutes from the house we are renting to the airport. It took Andrew and I something closer to 3 hours. We traveled the entire island. It was great. Too bad it was dark. From what I saw, Barbados is pretty hilly and very tropical – jungle leaves everywhere.


As we drove around, there were groups of people in the houses, partying it up. Just like in the movies - with lots of rum, caribean music and lots of merry-making. We were running out of gas and hopelessly lost when finally we came across a policeman. He stopped and asked where we needed to be, and we said “Bathsheba” (the area of Barbados we are staying at, in the East of the island, is called Bathsheba. It is where the Soup Bowl is – world renowned surfing). The cop looked at us and said, “Oh, wow……………………. Follow me”. The “oh wow” told us what we already knew – we were way, way, WAY off.


We finally made it, thanks to the police officer. We are staying in the top floor of a house – which is not what I expected. But it is right across from the beach. I can hear the ocean now. There are 2 patios that overlook the ocean – I can’t wait to see it in daylight tomorrow!!! The windows are open and the breeze is coming through, as are the tropical ocean sounds. This is amazing.


Downside – I am already covered in mosquito bites on my legs. I’m gunna have to get me some spray or something, this isn’t boding well.


So, here I am in Barbados!! It is perfect thus far. Becki comes in at 1:00 tomorrow – and Andrew and I both more than a little terrified about trying to get the airport and back again (the lady renting us the house showed Andrew the way to the airport to get me).


Hopefully I’ll have pictures tomorrow.


Love,


Brittney

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home