Love, Brittney

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Rosewood Gold Inlay Roll Top Desk

I’ve always wanted a roll top desk. I love vintage things, and the roll top desk is something I’ve always really wanted. Grandma Reynolds had a nice roll top desk in her house, and that is probably where I first got the idea.



They have lots of beautiful furniture here in Saudi. Mostly imported from Pakistan and other Asian countries.

They have roll top desks here, and I’ve known one year for Christmas I would ask for one. This was that year.

Mom, Dad and I went and looked around. Nowhere had exactly what I wanted. The desks are all in rosewood. And most have gold inlay. I’m not a huge fan of most gold inlay. It is usually kind of bulky and just not my style. All the desks I saw had the rosewood and gold inlay, and just didn’t exactly fit what I had in mind.

As we were driving, we saw a little shop in this random alley way that was called “Rosewood Furniture”. So Dad quickly turned off the main road and jumped onto the curb (because no one cares if you do that in Saudi and as Dad says, the FJ can do wherever the heck it wants) and Mom and I ran across a sand field while Dad finagled the world of Khobar one-way streets.

As soon as I walked in, there it was. The most beautiful roll top desk ever!

Here it is in the shop.



It’s everything I’ve been looking for. It has the traditional gold inlay, but there is less of it, and the inlay is very delicate, instead of the typical  bulky design.

It also has a very unique feature, which is the carving. I've never seen this on a desk before. It's always just the inlay. I love how the carvings compliment and soften the inlay.

It has the relief on the top - also very unique.

The legs are curved - I know there is a special name for it, and I could Google it to find out but really, I don't care enough about the terminology. I love the curved legs. I wanted this in the desk - but again, could never find it.


The 3 drawers on the top are curved in a semi-circle shape. Also unique and it looks really nice.


I love the gold keyhole!








The inside slides out, so you can sit and work.



I'm so excited about it. It has everything I wanted and more! It really is a very rare find. The guy selling it to us also told us that all the drawers are solid wood - not inlays, which is very rare. There aren't enough big pieces anymore to make large drawers out of one piece of wood. He said any newer pieces all have fake wood in the drawers.

I can't wait to have a place of my own to put it!

Thanks, Mom and Dad!!!

Love,
Brittney

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Mom said...

Beautiful.

January 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Jas said...

Hi, I have this same desk and my father has one that is a flip top. You wouldn't by chance remember the price? Considering selling my fathers small one since he passed and have no idea what to ask.
Thanks
Jess
smokeymtnsunshine1@yahoo.com

March 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home