Love, Brittney

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Twins - 30 Weeks

We made it to 30 weeks! I am writing this post from the IHC hospital in Murray.

I have finally succumbed to the awfulness that is preeclampsia.

I went to my doctor for my  regular check up on July 10 and my blood pressure was really high. The doctor had me lie down and checked it again every 5 minutes for 20 more minutes. It went down, but the fact it was so high without lying down he put me on bed rest (I was already on bed rest kind of, this was more official and strict).

I had really not been feeling great and working was becoming way more than I could handle, so I had come prepared with disability documents for the doctor to fill out. Thank goodness I had already done it all, because things really went down hill from there.

I submitted my disability papers and officially said I can’t work any longer on Friday, July 11. This was a hard decision because we need the money and staying home all day by myself is torture, but at this point physically and mentally I just couldn’t work any longer.

Tuesday July 15 was my sizing ultrasound. The twins (thankfully) looked amazing. Loki is still measuring 2 weeks ahead, and Thor 1. He was 3.1lbs and she was 3.9.

The doctor, however, was less than pleased with how I was doing. My swelling just keeps getting worse, I’m having cramps (no contractions that I can feel though) and my blood pressure was really bad.

So, the doctor sent me to labor and delivery to be assessed. They monitored the twins and I for about 4 hours. The twins did amazing. My blood pressure slowly got a little better, but still wasn’t great. They took a urine sample and finally sent me home with a “hat” (bowl thing you put in the toilet and pee into) and a gallon jug for urine. I had to collect urine for 24 hours. YUCK. That was not fun. And we had to refrigerate it. Nothing like a thing of pee in your fridge.

We had to drop it off at the hospital 24 hours later, and Trev had to walk into the hospital carrying this gallon jug of my pee. That is love.

That Saturday (7-19), we moved to our new home in Kaysville. We had so many friends and family that made that happen and we can’t thank you all enough! My mom came and packed the cave, we moved, then she made sure we were unpacked. It was a huge blessing, since I can’t do anything but sit on the couch all day.

Saturday my blood pressure was high all day. Sunday it stayed high. Monday (7-21) I woke up not feeling super great, and my blood pressure was still really high. So I called my doctor wondering about the urine test and was told it came back I have preeclampsia and I needed to go to labor and delivery stat to be triaged.

My doctor is in the Riverton hospital, and they do not have a level 1 NICU. So my doctor sent me to the IHC labor and and Delivery in Murray, since they have a level 1 NICU.

I was admitted to the hospital and poked and proded for 3 days. After 3 days my blood pressure had gone down enough that they (with some persuading from me) allowed me to go home (7-23)
I made it home 1 day before I was admitted again. I had my non stress test on Friday the 25th,  and my blood pressure was really high. The twins looked good – but Thor gave me a bit of a scare. They had to buz him 3 times to get his heart to fluctuate to the degree necessary. I guess he was asleep, and he ended up making the target, but I was really nervous for a while. They had me hooked up probably for 40 or so minutes. 

They tested my urine again and the level of protein was even higher, not good. They sent me to the lab to have blood drawn to test to see if my organs were being affected or platelets.

I hadn’t been feeling great and I just kind of knew the results were not going to be good, so instead of having Trev drive me home I just had him take me to his parents to wait to hear the results of the blood work.

They called back at about noon and my blood work came back slightly irregular. Not good. So they told me to come back to labor and delivery and be admitted again.

So, here I am, on day 2 of my second hospital stay this week. They took my blood this morning and my labs look about the same, which is good. My blood pressure last night was amazing, but hasn’t been doing so great today.

The doctor said I might get discharged tomorrow, and I hope I do. I’d rather be at home than stuck in the hospital.

They want me to make it to 34 weeks before these babies come. At the rate I’m going, they think I can make it to 34 weeks. The Doctor said sometimes the labs will stay stable for a bit, other times tank out of no where. So there is really no way of knowing. If I am released, I’ll be at the hospital at least 2 times a week to do a stress test and get labs drawn. But that is still better than being admitted.

I’m so uncomfortable and staying at the hospital bites. I want these babies to stay cooking, and I do not want them in the NICU, but the idea of 4 more weeks of this is so intense. I’m not sure I can do it. Trev says I can’t think about it as 4 more weeks. It has to be one day at a time, and he’s right. I can handle one day at a time. 4 weeks, even though I know it’s nothing, seems like an eternity.

And I really don’t want little premi babies! It’s so stressful for me worrying about the babies coming too soon and will they be ok, etc.


I wanted to get all this documented before I forgot. That has been our week! Luckily I’m showing no signs of labor yet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home